Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Triple Bonus

Three successful recipe outcomes in a row means I must be due for a nasty turnout sometime soon. Not trying to be negative, just realistic. Today I had a class which got done early so after going to bootcamp I got a ton of cooking and baking done! I wouldn't even call myself much of a cook normally, I like to try new things and love to take pictures when I'm done but now that I have a blog I have a place to actually put the pictures rather than hidden away in iPhoto files. Maybe that's where my motivation is coming from!
Anyways, tomorrow is my last day of work before a long stretch off and our much anticipated summer trip to Florida. Can't wait to see everyone and maybe my sister-in-law and I can even try some recipes while I'm there. She is THE organic mama...I will have a lot to live up to when I have babies someday. Can't wait!! (to see them, not have babies just yet...sorry Nikki...and mom...and Mama G)
Stay tuned til the end of this post where I will post a little current favorite music ''video"...A must hear!

I am always looking for new ways to make smoothies or protein shakes. I always try to include my unflavored protein powder and flax seeds into my shakes and generally aim to make them pretty healthy. Well today before bootcamp I concocted a rather delicious mix but it wasn't exactly ''healthy''.

The standard ingredients: 












Today's magical addition (Kemp's Caribou Coffee Java Chunk Ice Cream):













Yeah baby:




mmmmmmmmm































It was really good, but I am not always much for sweets so I only drank a little of it. And thank goodness I didn't drink it all because I felt like puking all throughout bootcamp...duh Bri...don't do dairy before working out! Didn't you learn your lesson last time? Apparently not.

After making it through bootcamp I made some of my gluten free muffins from a mix I got at a gluten free store in Woodbury. It's really nice because you can make a half batch (which is necessary since there aren't any preservatives and they really don't last for more than 4 or 5 days) because the mix comes in a re-seal-able bag.  I also add a scoop of the aforementioned protein powder. This helps keep me full longer! If you're looking for a good treat or muffin check it out, even if you aren't into gluten free stuff. It's still good. Even Jason gave his stamp of approval...what more recommendation do you need? ; )















And then there was dinner : )...the real success.

Bri-Loves-Whiskey Pork Tenderloin & Mashed Red Potatoes (adapted from online recipe and my mom's as well!)

Marinade:
  • 1/4 cup of whiskey or bourbon of choice (I used Jameson)
  • 1/4 cup dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce (gluten free if desired)
  • 1/4 cup oil (I used olive oil)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugard
  • 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp hot sauce (or omit if desired)
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
Other ingredients:
  • 1-2 pork tenderloins
  • 4-5 slices of bacon
1. Mix all marinade ingredients with spoon or mixer.
2. Soak pork tenderloin in prepared marinade. Poke holes in meat with fork if desired to add additional flavor. Refrigerate for 1 or more hours.





3. After done refridgerating, take out of marinade and place in glass cookware. Wrap bacon slices around tenderloin, securing underneath the loin or with toothpicks. Pour some of marinade on top of tenderloin so it coats the bottom of baking dish.

he's so supportive...






















4. Bake til no longer pink (45-60 mins) in oven at 350*.
5. Cut and enjoy!


Red mashed potato ingredients:
  • 10 red potatoes
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup of milk
1. Boil potatoes for 25-30 minutes or until very soft.

2. Drain and place in bowl with other ingredients.
3. Mash potatoes with masher or spoon, mix all ingredients together well, serve, and enjoy!










Jason pretending to be a bad-ass while also keeping it classy and drinking wine from a mug : )




























 And as promised, a ''video" of one of my favorite new Mat Kearney songs...his new CD just came out yesterday...and it's just fabulous. Everyone should buy it!
I'm off to bed, only one day of work left for a while...woop woop!! Night y'all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment