Sunday, July 24, 2011

Nacho Cheese

I think I have finally found the recipe that makes me a keeper...both as a wife and a cook : ) Though Jason says he likes my cooking, my gluten-free recipe adventures haven't taken us down many delicious paths thus far. I can't tell you how many times I have been super excited about a recipe I find, so I get all the ingredients (never cheap), spend a decent amount of time making it, and then sit down to the table for that anticipatory first bite. I think Jason always waits to let me take the first bite to see what my reaction will be. And sadly, so many times that first bite is followed by a slow, sad look up at him followed by me saying, ''it's nasty" or "it looks good, but it's not good at all" or "I really thought I had it this time" or just a simple shake of the head. He is always so sweet and tastes it, and if it's even remotely edible he says it's not too bad and eats it anyways. I love him for it, but I don't want him to have to do that anymore.
Therefore, I am happy to report I had a successful recipe venture that Jason LOVED and so did I! It was super simple too.
It isn't the lowest in fat recipe, but there are a lot of modifications you could make to have it be a lower fat meal. But this time, we went for the whole shebang and man was it good!
I'd like to thank Josh (my bro) and his girlfriend for inspiring the idea of nacho lasagna. I'd like to thank myself for thinking of using Doritos ; )

Dorito Lasagna (and it's gluten free!)

Ingredients:
1 bag of Nacho Cheesier Doritos (you won't need the whole bag if your'e just cooking for two)
1 lb of lean ground beef
1 package of taco seasoning
1 bag of shredded colby jack cheese
1 can of refried beans

Instructions:
1) Cook beef and mix in taco seasoning per directions
2) Heat refried beans
3) Layer Doritos, Refried Beans, Hamburger, and Cheese in a square casserole dish.
4) Repeat layers as desired.
5) Cook at 350* for 10 mins or until desired crispiness is reached.
6) Scoop and serve! (I like to dip the chips in salsa, but it's good without it too!)
First layer

Yes, it's as good as it looks!

mmmMmmm!

A winner at our house!
You can always add other stuff to the mix too. Next time I think we may try to layer some salsa in there. Onions, peppers, tomatoes, taco sauce...those would all be good additions too.
To make it a lower fat meal, try the baked Doritos, low-fat cheese, fat free refried beans, and the leanest ground beef you can find.

Here's to more successful recipe experiments and happy faces after the first bite : )

No comments:

Post a Comment