Friday, July 22, 2011

How does your garden grow?

For some reason I've had that nursery rhyme stuck in my head today. I have no idea where it came from but it did prompt me to take some pictures of my veggie garden and some of my flowers. I always say I'm going to do pictures every couple weeks to watch the progress but I never do. It's so fun to look back and see how much stuff has changed. Strange how you don't notice it til you look back at pictures!
This year I planted tons of different kinds of peppers (my favorite veggie of all time), some onions, tomatoes, cat nip, cantaloupe, watermelon, and pumpkins. It's so fulfilling to eat what you grow. I get jealous of my sister-in-law in Florida because she can grow stuff year round!
Last year I built my veggie garden walls (went to home depot and found it all myself!) It sadly wasn't a very successful year last year because of the late May freeze which killed a lot of what I had. But this year is a different story!

Here is May:














And this was today:














It's so hot, you can see the haze!

And here are a few more pictures:
Some jalapenos : )

A little bell pepper : )

This is only about 1/3 of the pumpkin plant!

One of the flowers on the side of the house























 We also have a huge window box in the front of our house. I never plant perennials there because I like to have a different look every year. That has changed way more than I realized too.
May:

 And here was today:

When it comes to gardening, I still don't really know what I'm doing. I like the whole...'figure it out as you go' sort of thing. Most of the time it works out.

Today was one of those great, productive, happy days. I did most of the things on my to do list, spent time outside, and avoided doing dishes : ) Instead I am sitting here, listening to some Bon Iver and drinking cheap wine in a questionably clean glass. Good start to a Friday night if you ask me!


No comments:

Post a Comment