Saturday, May 5, 2012

Balls to the Wall

Well, the sunny day meant to be spent on the lake isn't going to happen with the monsoon storm coming our way. Oh well. I'm sure we'll find something else to do...movie day perhaps?

In the meantime, I will share a few of the delicious gluten free recipes I've made recently. All of which were made in my new found free time which I am enjoying fully.

This first one was inspired by a trainer I used to go to. It has a nice mix of filling ingredients and it's a quick grab snack.

Protein Balls

Ingredients:
(This recipe makes approximately 20 balls)
  • 4 cups of gluten free oats (or regular oats if you don't need to be GF)
  • 1 cup of your favorite GF chocolate chips
  • 3 tbsp flax seeds
  • 1 scoop of protein powder (I used designer whey unflavored powder...but chocolate flavored powder tastes delicious as well)
  • 1 cup of your favorite peanut butter, crunchy or creamy
  • 1/4-1/2 cup of agave nectar or honey
Combine all ingredients. You may need to add more peanut butter and/or agave nectar if the balls aren't sticking together easily. There's no exact science and they always turn out tasty!
Take off your jewelry, turn on some music and stick your hands in the bowl and mush it all together!!! (my favorite part)
You can make your balls as big or as little as you want : ) Put them in a big tupperware and separate layers with wax paper. Store them in the fridge. Enjoy!


Next on the list, I made Chex mix : ) Luckily, almost all Chex cereal is made gluten free as it is. I based my recipe on the one I found from the Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom blog. She has some great gluten free recipe ideas on her site! I kind of tweaked her recipe to make it my own : )

Gluten Free Chex Mix
Ingredients:
  • 6 cups of Rice Chex
  • 3 cups of Corn Chex
  • 1 1/2 cups mixed nuts (salted or unsalted)
  • 1 1/2 cups gluten free pretzels
  • 6 tbsp butter, melted
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tsp Lawry's seasoned salt
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
1. Melt butter, add seasoned salt, garlic, and Worcestershire and mix together in small bowl
2. Combine remaining dry ingredients in large bowl
3. Pour butter mixture over dry ingredients, mix until all dry ingredients are covered
4. Heat oven to 250*, spread Chex mixture evenly on a cookie sheet
5. Bake for 1 hour, stirring mixture every 15 minutes

Enjoy!! It's tasty!

And last but not least,  I re-made a recipe from when I first started the blog last year. The baja citrus chicken sliders were a big hit and I've been waiting for it to feel summery enough to make them again this year. Of course I can't have the bready bun part of the slider...that's reserved for Jason. Click on the link to get the recipe...the only change I made was I doubled the broccoli slaw recipe this year and turned mine into a salad of sorts...it was so good! Lime juice can really be a great salad dressing...mix in some cilantro and you're set for life! : ) And there's still a little salad mixture left in the fridge from the other day and it still tastes great, not soggy!


Alright, I'm going to settle into a day on the couch with my hubby...windows are down, I can smell the rain, and we are about to start watching Walking Dead on Netflix. Jason loves zombies. Should be a good day!

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

No comments:

Post a Comment