Thursday, February 23, 2012

Hey hey hey burrito lady

I have been on the verge of some kind of illness for the last few days. I finally got a fever...it was inevitable...so I am trying to lay low, sleep a lot and hoping to cure myself that way. I have four 12 hour shifts ahead of me this weekend and I sure don't want to waste my vacation time being sick at home. I guess my crazy schedule is finally paying me back. And I suppose it was only a matter of time.

Luckily I have made the executive decision to take the summer off grad school. I've decided I care less about graduating in December and more about getting more tuition reimbursement from my work by dragging it out another semester and a half. This means that the paper I turned in on Monday was my last paper I need to write til September. That's pretty kick ass. This also means...more time to do whatever this summer. Come May (when clinical teaching is over) I will not know what to do with myself! Oh wait...take pictures, go boating, relax, get tan....ok, deal! Twist my arm.

So I feel like a bit of a weight is lifted off my shoulders...I don't have as much to do which is good so I can focus on feeling better and relaxing a bit more. : ) I am finally getting back into a boot camp routine...sadly I missed it the last few days but at least I'm on my way. That feels good.

Next week we leave for a cruise. My hubs, my brother and his girlfriend, my mom, and my two aunts are all going on the newest Royal Caribbean ship...the Oasis. We are all so excited to be able to go together. It was a very generous Christmas gift from my mom and we are super thankful to her for it. We will be spending a day in Miami beforehand and almost two more days there after the cruise. It should be a great time : ) The ship has a Starbucks, a zipline, surf simulators, dozens of restaurants, and more...I am more excited for the ship itself than the destinations!

Tonight I made a super yummy dinner that I can even claim as an original recipe (as original as you can make a burrito : ) ). I am most proud of my salsa invention.

Bri-licious Burrito w/ Fresh Avocado Salsa
In the burrito:
  • Grilled chicken breasts
  • Sauteed peppers/onions (red, green, yellow)...I mix in some cilantro and olive oil as well
  • Rice (we used spiced mexican rice)
  • Shredded cheese
  • Avocado salsa
  • Optional (and delicious): hot sauce/buffalo sauce
How to make Avocado Salsa:


Combine:
  • 1 can mild rotelle with green chiles
  • 1 ripe avocado, peeled & sliced
  • 1/4 yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 1 lime, freshly squeezed
  • Cilantro, chopped...to taste
  • Salt to taste
  • Optional suggestion by Jason which I am sure is good...add corn : )
I love fresh veggies!! Especially sauteed in oil!! : )
Jason realizing those Chipotle worker's job isn't so easy after all!
not bad my love, not bad
My burrito...with hot buffalo sauce : )
 I am proud I had a recipe win... : ) or at least a salsa win...the burrito itself is clearly a knock off. But delicious nonetheless.

I am going to get back to my relaxing, sleeping, and hopefully healing. Here's to hopefully working all four of my shifts this weekend... : )

And a quick thank you again to my awesome and sweet hubby for the flowers you brought me home yesterday...they are so pretty!! : ) See facebook for a picture if you're curious!

I found this long lost picture from Mexico...how's this for relaxing? Boats! Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment